4th Grade Orchestra Videos & Recordings:
5th Grade Orchestra Videos & Recordings:
Why Music is Important
The following research demonstrates the link between participating in an instrumental music program and the benefits to the students academically and socially. Of course, music education is a core value for all and that without participating in and learning from the arts, we are not providing a truly complete education for our students. I believe it is essential to our lives to have music within it whether it is orchestra, band, choir, fiddle, rock ‘n roll or even your own garage band!
Intrinsic Value of Music
• Musicians are passionate.
• We LOVE to play!
• Music is living history.
• Constantly exposed to great wealth of classical literature.
• Music is therapeutic.
• Playing music is a beautiful way of expressing emotion.
Did you know?
Young people who participate in the arts for at least three hours on three days each week through at least one full year are:
• 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
• 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools
• 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair
• 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
• 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
Music Affects Math and Reading…
• First and second year string students’ standardized math and reading test scores are higher than the general student population in suburban, urban, and rural schools.
Musical Training & Language/Reading Skills
• Research suggests that musical training may play a role in improving language and literacy skills. Study shows that musical training changes the neural network involved with brain areas traditionally associated with language processing. While more research is still needed, this finding can lead to important breakthroughs for children struggling with dyslexia.
Music & Grade Point Average (GPA)
In 2005 test-taking College-Bound Seniors, those with an average of 2 years of study in Arts and Music, had significantly higher GPAs in each subject than those students who did not. This trend continues with each additional year of study in arts and music.
Music & SAT Scores
• Music students have significantly higher SAT scores than the average student population. String students have the highest scores among all music students. There is a direct correlation between improved SAT scores and the length of time spent studying the arts.
Music and Graduation Honors
• Most high school string/orchestra teachers report that their string students are in the Top 10% of their graduating class.
• Music majors are the most likely group of college grads to be admitted to medical school.
- 4th Concert Music & Video Examples
- 5th Concert Music & Video Examples
- About Mrs. Duke
- Bass Resources
- Bow Strokes
- Cello Resources
- Instrument Care
- Morning Rehearsal Information
- Music Terms & Symbols
- Orchestra Music Games
- Orchestra Parent Door Monitors
- Orchestra Practice Tips
- Reading the Clefs
- Tuner Information
- Viola Resources
- Violin Resources
- Why Music is Important